Home » Health and wellness » My day at the Biobank Assessment Centre.

My day at the Biobank Assessment Centre.

This morning we set off just after 10.00am to travel to Leeds for my appointment at the UK Biobank Centre in Leeds.  As stated in the leaflet that came with my initial invite to take part, and I quote, ‘The purpose of UK Biobank is to set up a resource that can support a diverse range of research intended to improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness, and the promotion of health throughout society.’ unquote.

We caught the 10.28 am bus from B which is a good 10 to 15 minutes walk from our flat (and as K was accompanying me, I added on another extra 5 minutes to the time needed to reach the bus stop in order to take account of her short legs and walking speed.) The bus journey was uneventful apart from K and I doing our usual ‘musical chairs routine’ and swopping seats as soon as the occasion allowed and our favourite seats became available, as we do prefer to sit on the higher up ones overlooking all the other passengers!  This gives one a feeling of superiority we find (especially as we are both none too tall!)  We aren’t keen on sitting in the lower seats, and anyway you can see more of what’s going on from the higher seats at the back.

We disembarked outside the Town Hall at approximately 11.30am, plenty of time to suss out where the building I needed was as my appointment wasn’t till 12.00pm,  and anyway, I was armed with a map so what could possibly go wrong?  I thought that it was down the street almost opposite the Town Hall, but actually it turned out to be two streets further up, and a very kind gentleman came out of his shop and rightly guessed that I was looking for the Biobank Centre so he gestured down the street towards the building and doorway I needed.

Once inside a concierge let us through the barriers and told us which floor we needed via the lift. Floor 8. The lift doors closed, I pressed the 8th floor button and Whoosh!  I promptly left my stomach behind, my ears popped and that was followed by that awful sinking feeling as a very fast lift comes to a stop. K looked terrified as we came out and went into the reception area. Next I was ushered to a computer terminal by a nice young man who showed me how to answer all of the questionnaire which was all computerised.  Hmm, of course I felt right at home! Touch screen as well!  This was going to be fun!  K in the meantime was being spoiled rotten in the waiting area by the Biobank staff who were giving her copious amounts of drinking chocolate and biscuits whilst she waited.

Leeds from the Biobank Building

It took me about 30 to 40 minutes to fill everything in, and then I moved on to the first actual physical assessment with a nurse which consisted of her checking my previous answers, finding out what medication I was taking, if I ever had any operations done, etc, and then my blood pressure was checked.  She gave me a flash drive on a holder to take with me to the next examination area.  There I had my weight taken, my height, my bone density checked and my body mass index was also measured.  My lung function was not checked because I had previously suffered a heart attack.

Last but not least I was moved on to the blood taking cubicle.  She sat me in a very comfortable chair and following  the usual keep your arm straight and clench your fist routine, proceeded to try and get my vein for her blood samples.  Of course she didn’t hit the vein and although I never look, I knew because it hurt like hell!  “Hmm, your veins are moving about, can you clench your fist again?” she asked, getting another needle in the process. Damn! I hate when this happens! Why oh why do some have so much trouble yet others don’t?  I have asked one of our nurses about this down at our surgery, and she stated that it all depended on who was doing it. (which of course I had already surmised for myself!)

The second time, she found the vein, but good job I wasn’t tempted to look as she had tons of phials to fill, and by the time that she pressed the cotton wool ball on the spot and gave a container for my  urine sample, I was feeling quite light headed and sick. I never ever faint, but I do go woozy.  She showed me where to leave my urine sample and so I did all that followed by a quick cup of horrid tea from their machine, took  a snap of Leeds from their window which because it was so high up afforded an excellent view, and then we made our way back  down in the ‘express lift’ where K clung onto the grab rail like glue as it descended,  and outside.

It was quite warm by the time we re-emerged into the sunlight and very busy with people making full use of  a warm spring day to do some shopping. We made our way to the railway station for our usual lunch at McDonalds. Following buying our train tickets home, I took the opportunity to take some panoramic shots of the station foyer and the platforms.  As the London train was in, I also took one of K stood near the front bogie before it was due to set off to King’s Cross. Soon it was time to climb on board our train for home, but not before taking a quick picture of the Penzance train arriving as it was due to arrive before our train was due to leave.

It'll have a job arriving  at this platform! Its tempting to get on board!

Everyone (including some station staff) were stood waiting for it on Platform 12A and it had crossed my mind that this was strange seeing as it always  usually pulled in on 10A in the past but the voice over the tannoy kept insisting that it would arrive on Platform 12A.  I was patiently waiting to take a picture of it as it came into view.  As I spotted the train approaching it was obvious to me that it wasn’t going to arrive at 12A after all, but instead at its usual platform across the way which now meant everyone making a frantic dash up the stairs or escalator across the overhead concourse and then down onto Platform 10.  We nearly ended up getting knocked down in the rush and panic!  And so onto our usual grubby train, which by the way has now begun to continue on to Manchester after reaching our little station.  Even better news, we are definitely getting the much rumoured train to London journeying through our station at the end of this year!  Wow!  And to think that its only been about 5 years since it re-opened!  Now its practically the Mecca of the North!

TG  Open-mouthed


11 thoughts on “My day at the Biobank Assessment Centre.

  1. Well, in your post about the "bright spark" who messed up your bus stations:"Our two buses use exactly the same route as each other when going to Bradford, which is the direction we take when travelling home from town, but they do use a different route when travelling in the direction of Halifax, and so have two different numbers assigned to them."When I looked at my dictionary, it said "Halifax" was in Nova Scotia which is in Canada…

  2. Urgh, I’m like that with blood tests. Some people collapse my veins, while others have no problems.Great pic of Leeds, and the train hurtling through!Have a great weekend xx

  3. How do you normally get to London then?!! It’s not that hard to get to Leeds from here!….well not unless you’re using Virgin trains…then there’s no telling where you may end up!…..Based on your friend Jeremy’s comments…..Canada maybe?!You had a fun-packed day out by sounds of it…lol….why do I get the feeling you may be a little reluctant to return to such places in the future….I wonder! Hope your poor arm recovered and you downed a decent cup of t eventually ;)) x

  4. Very late in commenting here TG. I’ve not been reading blogs lately as I’ve been watching Crufts on my PC each day it was on and the catch-up video on demand of the Obedience events since.I hate having bloods taken. They don’t normally have toruble finding my viens but hubs has a dreadful time. He has bloods taken every couple of weeks so his viens are now very leathery. One nurse at our surgery is very good… The other has more difficulty! Lovely pics… I’m surprised you didn’t accidentally on purpous jump on the Plymouth train!!! LOL

  5. Thanks for all your comments. Went on Tuesday (yesterday for the other trial to Huddersfield hospital, and this time not a scratch! Well perhaps a pin prick! LOL but no problem getting blood. Mind you she did use the other arm as my left one was so bruised. I am also sporting a fantastic bruise on my right eyebrow where K banged me with her head during our walk with Crew on Saturday. As you will all now imagine, I look a right sight!

  6. Europa it would be a National Express train to London taking roughly just over two hours or so. There is a very frequent service from Leeds to London which is going to get even more frequent in the future and have new super duper bogies doing the job. But it will be nice to be able to go from our little corner of the network as well.

  7. Ugh! l am against anyone taking my blood who is not an expert. lf l have anything to say about it, l only have my blood taken at a lab where they do it all day long–experts! Such damage can be done to our veins by people who are careless or just don’t know what they are doing.

  8. That sounds quite adventurous to me. I think you know my opinions about the security and potential misuse of Electronic Health Records, so having you carry your own flash drive around would not have been my cup of tea at all. One positive thing I can report is that I have such marvelous brachial arteries just South of my antecubital fossa that only two people have ever had trouble drawing blood. I believe that they were both students who forgot their glasses those days. I’m glad you had a mostly good time, and the snaps are great.Peace, Doc

Now have your say!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s